Thursday, January 26, 2012

Songs of Disappointment and Misgiving

Disappointment and misgiving are the universal consequences of living your life. Soften the blows with song.


Gene Pitney - Town Without Pity. Don't judge Gene for his slightly creeper demeanor here. The town did this to him. The town without pity. Some of you will understand and I hope you got out of there, man.



Skeeter Davis - The End of the World. The ultimate anthem of the deeply depressed. The studio recording is haunting and will somehow make you feel better, bubby.



Dolly Parton - Jolene. It's a foregone conclusion that Jolene will be taking Dolly's man. But what a lovely plea. He wasn't worth it.



Peggy Lee - Black Coffee. The guy didn't call. You know the type. Is that all there is?



Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang. No, Nancy--don't get involved with that gun nut! Too late. Damn.

 

The Temptations - Papa was a Rolling Stone. Disappointment in a parent--does it ever entirely go away? I need to start a blog completely dedicated to The Temptations. What a run they had.



Amy Winehouse - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? If you have to ask... *sigh*

1 comment:

valhattan said...

one more?

"Long Ago And Far Away"

Long ago, a young man sits and plays his waiting game.
But things are not the same it seems as in such tender dreams.
Slowly passing sailing ships and Sunday afternoon.
Like people on the moon I see are things not meant to be.

Where do those golden rainbows end? Why is this song so sad?
Dreaming the dreams I've dreamed my friend, loving the love I love
to love is just a word I've heard when things are being said.
Stories my poor head has told me cannot stand the cold.
And in between what might have been and what has come to pass,
a misbegotten guess alas and bits of broken glass.

Where do your golden rainbows end? Why is this song I sing so sad?
Dreaming the dreams I dream my friend, loving the love I love to love to love to love.